As a landlord, finding the right tenants is essential to the success of your rental properties.
Not only can problem tenants cause costly evictions and high turnover, but they can also lead to legal issues and damage to your property. That's why at Gordon James Realty, we take tenant screening seriously. We understand that the right tenants can make all the difference in the success of your rental properties. In this article, we'll explain why tenant screening is so important and some key things to look for when screening tenants.
What to Look for When Screening Tenants
- Rent-to-income ratio: A tenant's pre-tax income should equal at least three to four times the rent. Verify the information provided by asking for pay stubs or other proof of employment and calling the employer to confirm the tenant's job and salary. This will ensure that the tenant can afford the rent and minimize the risk of non-payment.
- Credit score: A low-risk tenant would have a credit score over 700. Consider extenuating circumstances such as past large medical bills or a divorce that may affect the tenant's credit score but should not affect the tenant's ability to afford the rent. A high credit score can be a good indication that the tenant is responsible and has a good track record of paying debts on time.
- Criminal history and eviction history: This is essential in identifying any potential red flags that may indicate that the tenant may have a history of evictions or legal issues. Calling prior landlords can help you know whether applicants paid on time and followed the rules. This will give you insight into the tenant's rental history and whether they are likely to be a good fit for your property.
- Employment verification: Verify the tenant's employment by asking for pay stubs or other proof of employment and calling the employer to confirm the tenant's job and salary. This will give you an idea of the tenant's income stability and ability to afford the rent.
Why Tenant Screening Matters
- Minimizes risk: By screening tenants carefully, you can significantly lower the chances of renting to problem tenants. This can help minimize risk, reduce the likelihood of evictions, and increase the stability and longevity of your tenant base.
- Protects your property: Screening tenants can also help protect your property. By identifying any potential red flags, such as a history of evictions or legal issues, you can take the necessary steps to mitigate the risk of property damage. This can help ensure that your property is well-maintained and in good condition for years to come.
- Increases cash flow: High tenant turnover can cause a hit to cash flow, especially if you can't find a stable and reliable tenant for a long time. By screening tenants carefully, you can increase the chances of finding long-term, stable tenants who are less likely to move out or cause problems.
- Outsourcing the screening process: If tenant screening sounds like a hassle, or if you don't have the time or resources to do it well, you may want to consider hiring a property management company like Gordon James Realty. We can handle the tenant screening process for you, ensuring that only qualified and responsible tenants are placed in your properties. Plus, we can also handle management and any tenant-related issues in the future, so you can focus on growing your rental portfolio.
At Gordon James Realty, we take tenant screening seriously. We understand that the right tenants can make all the difference in the success of your rental properties. That's why we go above and beyond to ensure that only qualified and responsible tenants are placed in your properties. Contact us today to learn more about our property management services and how we can help you protect your investment and increase cash flow.
In conclusion, Finding the right tenant is a cornerstone of successful property management. A meticulous tenant screening process not only ensures the financial stability and reliability of potential renters but also aids in the preservation of the property and maximizes cash flow. Key factors to assess include the rent-to-income ratio, credit score, criminal and eviction history, and employment verification. While these criteria offer a robust framework for vetting potential tenants, they also underscore the importance of an experienced hand.
Gordon James Realty emphasizes a stringent tenant screening approach to mitigate risks and safeguard landlords' investments. By entrusting tenant screening to professionals, property owners can ensure a thriving rental environment and enjoy peace of mind. Contact Gordon James Realty for an expert touch in tenant selection and property management.
GET IN TOUCH